A toxidrome is a syndrome (set of symptoms) caused by specific medications or toxins.
There are 5 big ones to know:
- Anticholinergic: low potency antipsychotics, oxybutynin, ACh receptor antagonists (ipratropium, atropine, scopolamine)
- Cholinergic: ACh recptor agonists (pilocarpine), AChEIs (organophosphates, phyostigmine)
- Opioid: Morphine, heroin, hydromorphone, etc
- Sympathomimetic: epinephrine, cocaine, amphetamine (Aderol), methylphenidate (Ritalin)
- Sedative-Hypnotic: Benzodiazepines, barbituates, “Z-drugs” (zopiclone, zolpidem), antihistamines