The way to remember the effects of anticholinergic medications is using the mnemonic Hot as a hare, blind as a bat, dry as a bone, red as a beet, mad as a hatter.
- Hot as a hare: increased body temperature
- Blind as a bat: mydriasis (dilated pupils)
- Dry as a bone: dry mouth, dry eyes, decreased sweat
- Red as a beet: flushed face
- Mad as a hatter: delirium
Common anticholinergic medications are dimenhydrinate (Gravol) and low-potency antipsychotics, benztropine, atropine and antihistamines.
Don’t forget about the other toxidromes!