First thing’s first, it is important to understand the difference between a mood episode and a mood disorder.
The best way is to think of the episodes as the building blocks of the disorders.
Major Depressive Episode: 2 week period of depressed mood OR anhedonia plus 4 other symptoms of MSIGECAPS (useful mnemonic)
- Mood (low)
- Sleep (decreased)
- Interest (decreased)
- Energy (low)
- Concentration (poor)
- Appetite (decreased)
- Psychomotor retardation or agitation
- Suicidal ideation
Manic Episode: 1 week period of elevated or irritable mood with 4 or more of (mnemonic GST PAID)
- Grandiose thoughts
- Sleep, decreased need for
- Pleasurable activities with Painful consequences (gambling, spending lots of money, having lots of sex)
- Activity increased
- Ideas (flight of)
Hypomanic Episode: Same as manic except dialled down a notch. Only needs to be 4 days with 3 or more symptoms. People can still function and generally like being hypomanic, but their friends and family will notice a difference in them.
Mixed Episode: BOTH manic episode and major depressive episode at the same time (as in during the same day they’ll experience both depression and mania) in 1 week.
- 1 manic episode OR 1 mixed episode
- Treatment: mood stabilizer (lithium or anti-convulsant), consider adding atypical antipsychotic (quetiapine, clozapine, olanzapine)
- Carbamazepine, valproic acid, and lamotrigine do not have good antidepressant effects, they’re only antimanic
- Tegretol (carbamazepine) not used much because rush of Steven-Johnson’s syndrome, CP450 interactions and neutropenia
- MDE + hypomanic episode
- NO manic or mixed episodes
- Treatment: lithium, consider adding atypical antipsychotic
- >2 years, never without symptoms for >2 months.
- Hypomanic + Depressive Symptoms (not meeting the criteria for MDE)
- Treatment: lithium, anticonvulsants (divalproex, lamotrigine)
Great sketches and resources! I do have a small clarification regarding the Bipolar disorder information. For Lamictal (Lamotrigine), this medication is actually better for treatment of bipolar depression than manic symptoms, although it does have approval for maintenance therapy in Bipolar I disorder.